Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Canon 85 f/1.8 vs Sigma 85 1.4: 2 pics
Apr 8, 2013

I''ve had the Canon 85 f/1.8 for a few years now and it's been one of my most used primes first on my 50D and now on my 5D MKII.  I was interested in trying the Sigma 85 f/1.4 so I rented it this past weekend to compare against the Canon.  I've added a couple of pics below (shot moments apart, same lighting conditions and settngs...with the exception of aperture as noted below).  The first is From the Canon and the 2nd from the Sigma.

A few things I noticed:

• The colors from the Sigma seem to be a "warmer" cast that the "Cool" cast from the Canon.  I think I prefer the Sigma here.
  • Both the Sigma and the Canon are very sharp.  The Sigma seems sharper at 1.8 than the Canon (and my Canon 85 is reasonably sharp at 1.8).  The Sigma at F 1.4 has good center sharpness.
  • The background blur at 1.4 from the Sigma would be the main selling point for me....there is noticably more blur than from the Canon at f 1/8.  The blur from the Canon and the Sigma both had a nice smooth quality to my eye..
  • The Sigma is noticeably heavier than the Canon.  The weight/size of the Canon was/is a big selling point for me.
  • Autofocus speed/accuracy:  Both did well on my tests.  I'd give the Canon a slight edge on both.
  • Sigma required +7 micro-adjust (was front focusing).   The Canon required +9!

Not sure that I'll sell the Canon for the Sigma, but an interesting comparison.

Canon 1.8 at F/1.8

Sigma 85 1.4 at F 1.6 (I thought I had the aperture set at F1.4.....oh well)

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow