Forum ProPosts: 12,597Gear list
Like?
Re: Change my sigma 30 2.8 to a 19mm?
In reply to cptrios, Apr 8, 2013

cptrios wrote:

captura wrote:

joe talks photography wrote:

Janne303 wrote:

Is there someone out there who has changed your sigma 30 to an 19mm? I have a 50mm but no wideangle. Is the 19mm something to consider?

if you think the field of view is not wide enough with the 30mm you might consider getting the 19mm. the 19 is not as sharp but is great enough...with wider view. I have both and each has a good use for my style of shooting pics.

-- hide signature --

Joe

The myth of the 19 mm Sigma being inferior to the 30 is specific to this forum only. I have both models, and I am an early purchaser of the 19. Roger Cicala reviewed these lenses along with the m43 versions and found them all to be remarkably equal in MFT.

I own both too, and can unequivocally state that the 19 (of which I've owned 3 copies) is inferior to the 30. They might be pretty much the same on m4/3, where the worst part of the 19's image is cropped away, but they're certainly not on the NEX. The 19's center sharpness is as good as the 30's, but it's got noticeably worse CA and substantial field curvature that leads to border softness in most situations.

It's still a great lens for the money, though (the older, cheaper one at least) and is kind of a no-brainer purchase. And if you've got a NEX-7 in particular, the 24mp means you'll need to print really large before the field curvature becomes apparent.

That is your subjective opinion, but why did you need three? Was it a bad  ger Cicala said that the 19 and 30 on the NEX-7, tested equally.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow