Ok Canon...Nikon's 24mp D7100 under $1,200

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,383Gear list
Like?
Re: More speculation... sigh...
In reply to jrkliny, Apr 8, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

Let me understand.  Are you claiming that the various models from Canon have substantially different 18 mp sensors?  If so I suggest you read the DPR camera reviews.  It appears that the image quality - resolution, noise and dynamic range - has not changed.  I do understand there have been some changes.  Data transfer speeds and focusing have changed.

No, I'm not claiming that at all. Canon had a good run with their 18MP sensor across a number of different models. There were subtle improvements between models, but nothing spectacular. What I am suggesting for this next model is that the same MP count does not necessarily imply the same sensor technology. For various reasons, Canon may have completely retooled their sensoe and accompanying logic yet decided to stick with 18MP. Before passing judgment, I'd like to see the details, sample images, specs, etc. rather than simply assuming that because it's 18MP, it must be yet another rewarmed version of their prior 18MP sensor.

BTW, if it does end up being yet another minor mod of their existing sensor, I'll be just as disappointed and concerned as you and others are. Nikon and Sony, among others, are makng some pretty impressive inroads and Canon definitely needs to step it up with their next gen cameras. I'm just not willing to judge them as out of the game until I see something a bit more concrete than a MP count.

Make any sense?

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
noNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow