Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,386Gear list
Like?
More speculation... sigh...
In reply to jrkliny, Apr 8, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

howardroark wrote:

It would be strange to leave the 18MP sensor in the 70D for another generation.  They've done that kind of thing before, but if they have a new sensor for the 7D I don't see any reason not to share it across the board.....just release the 7DII first.

It would be more than "strange" to have a 70D with the same 18 mp sensor.  I suspect that will happen and it will not be strange, but will be a further indication that the Canon R&D is lagging and they are not able to release an APS-C camera with a better sensor.

So, let me get this straight.  In your many similar posts on this subject, you're suggesting that by simply keeping the same 18MP sensor size that there's no room for improvement in the sensor and accompanying logic design, right?  So, if Canon simply doesn't increase the MP count on the 70D, then this is an indication to you that their technology development is behind, right?   And it's also an indicator that without increasing that MP count, no matter what Canon does, an 18MP sensor simply can't be competitive, right?

I think you're guilty of the same problem as many other posters here.  You choose to judge with virtually no information on the technology other than a rumor or two and decide that Canon must be lagging the competition.  Sure, additional MP would be welcome in many circles (wildlife shooters for starters), but the lack of an increase there in no way indicates that Canon hasn't potentially found other ways to improve the sensor without increasing the MP count.  Let's start with high ISO performance... another stop or more there would be spectacular.  Some reduced sensitivity to underexposure (less noise in the shadows) would also be a huge help.  Couple that with potential improvements in the AF system and you might just have a very interesting camera if they keep it at a fairly aggressive price point.

Let's wait for some REAL news before deciding that Canon's lost their sensor mojo, eh?

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
noNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow