How many D800e RAW files will fit on a 1TB external hard drive?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Questions thread
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929Gear list
Like?
Re: How many D800e RAW files will fit on a 1TB external hard drive?
In reply to AofA, Apr 8, 2013

AofA wrote:

my Mac has Thunderbolt.

i'm looking for a Thunderbolt enabled external HD,

or do i need a raid?

i already own a 1TB G-Tech external HD,

and a 500MB G-Tech portable HD.

i don't keep my photos or videos on my computer.

You noted that you don't keep your photos on your computer.  I understand that to mean that you don't store your photos on the INTERNAL drive on your computer but only on the two externals that you mentioned.  Is that correct?

I believe that the 1TB G-Tech device is only available in USB 3, with only the larger G-Tech devices being available as Thunderbolt.

First question is whether you have one of the new Macs with USB 3 ports or if they are only USB 2.  If they are USB 3, you can already reach the maximum transfer rate to your HDD without using Thunderbolt.  I think G-Tech uses a 7200 rpm Hitachi, which is not fast enough to make maximum use of the Thunderbolt connection or the USB 3 either.  If this is your situation you can save some money and use USB 3 without losing transfer speed.  You would need a very high end HDD or an SSD to avoid the slowdown at the disk.

If you have USB 2 ports and Thunderbolt ports on your computer you can gain some transfer speed by upgrading to one of the 4TB or 8TB g-Tech Thunderbolt Raids.  Google RAID levels and you will find some valuable information, as there are several possibilities.

A RAID can be configured to give increased speed, increased capacity, or increased reliability, BUT IT'S NOT A GOOD BACKUP SOLUTION.

And I'm guessing a backup solution is really what you are interested in creating.  That means a copy of your data located remotely.

Apologies if I wandered off without actually addressing your question, but I hope that helps at least a bit.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow