Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: That loCA is normal.
In reply to wchutt, Apr 8, 2013

wchutt wrote:

One reason I don't plan to buy another Nikkor fast lens is their LoCA is more obvious than other fast lenses.

If I remember correctly NX2 minimizes the LoCA. So you have to buy the camera, lens and software to get the most out of the lens. This insults me. If Nikon wants to save money by designing a lens with higher than typical LoCA and also make money selling me software to fix it, well I'm done buying fast Nikon lenses.

BTW I know LoCA is inherent in fast lens design. What annoys me is Nikon's recent fast lenses have such a high level compared to other lenses.

I have observed that NX2 removes LoCA (axial) fairly well, but LR 4.4 doesn't.   In LR, I have selected Lens Correction->Color->Remove chromatic aberration, and experimented with the defringe eye-dropper to target the color, adjusting the Amount slider from one end to the other.   No matter how I adjust it, LR doesn't do nearly as good a job as NX2 in removing LoCA.   I wonder if LR will ever be as capable as NX2 in this regard?

This is frustrating with an otherwise excellent lens like the 85/1.8G.   Now, I find myself avoiding high contrast lighting and/or subjects with this lens because for me the LoCA induced fringing is unacceptable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow