Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
glo
glo
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 or D7100 for aspiring photographer
In reply to Brian Alpert, Apr 8, 2013

Brian Alpert wrote:

The D7100 is a serious camera whose 24 mp resolution is the same as the D3X and the D600.   What you need to do is get better lenses.  Superzooms such as the 18-300 are a compromise; they sacrifice  quality for convenience.  The greater the stretch, the more the compromise.  This is why pro level zooms don't have this sort of range.  The pro level 24-70 is a 3x zoom.  The 28-300 is a 16x zoom.  It can't possibly compete.  I would suggest starting with some nice primes like the 35mmDX, the 50 mm 1.8.  For zoom lenses, I have the 16-85 which I use on my D200.

Work with the D7100 and grow with it.  It might not have the speed you like, but it should produce fantastic images given the right glass and technique.

-- hide signature --

I agree with what Brian says. Nothing wrong with the 7100 but if you have the money, get an 800E or a D4, but before that, put your money in some pro glass - you'll never be sorry. You may later switch bodies, but your glass will last you a long time if you buy right. Not a fan of the super zooms if you're looking for optimum quality and control regardless of the body.

glo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow