Let's help Jim Malcolm

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's help Jim Malcolm
In reply to FooFighter007, Apr 8, 2013

FooFighter007 wrote:

Put me in the camp of "almost switching."  For me, it is not "do I need 35mm sensor," it is "I WANT a 35 mm SENSOR!"  If marketing doesn't want to listen to that, then I guess my money deserves to go to a competitor.

I grew up with K1000, still have a KX and MX, and my 3 sharpest lenses are K35f2, K55f1.8, and M50f4 macro.  I have used them plus many other M and A primes and zooms on a K-r body, and like the image quality, despite it being only 12MPix.  For me, being able to use these yummy all-metal manual focus lenses on a digital body makes photography enjoyable to me.

One option is to get a Ni**n with some older manual focus lenses, plus a couple AF zooms to round out the quiver of lenses.  I would do the same with Pentax 35mm digital sensor body if Pentax made one and some new AF lenses to go with it.  But I've waited too long, so Ni**n I go.  That will be about $3500 worth of new equipment that Pentax will miss out on me.  Heck I can still use my Metz Pentax flashes with wireless remotes in manual mode with that Ni**n and my flash meter.

In the off chance that Mr. Jim Malcolm reads this, the building negative sentiment in online social media will pretty much finish off the Pentax side of things.

Agreed ,

I also have Nikon FF kit supplied by work , but I don't like toting bricks around with huge heavy lumps of glass hanging off them and the sore back that results .

The Nikon stuff is for work ; I shoot Pentax for recreation .

I still have all my Pentax film kit , went digital with a used *istD , recently bought a second *istD body to replace the first one after I dropped it ( although it still works , despite a broken flash shoe ) and love using it with my SMC-M primes . I've toyed with buying a K10 , K20 , K7 , K5 but always held back for that elusive FF so that my lenses will once again have their intended effective focal lengths .

Although I mostly buy used equipment , I do sometimes buy new ( as with my Km which started me with Pentax , one of my two MX's and one of my two LX's , as well as numerous lenses , flashes etc ) - all of which served as reliable workhorses for many years and all of which I still have , along with numerous other cameras . I also bought my daughter a new K10D for her 21st , when it was current .

I do have money to spend on the 'right' new camera , but so far Pentax haven't come up with anything that makes me want to slap a wad on the counter , not just yet .

I want a more compact FF DSLR that I can mount my Pentax prime lenses onto , see well enough to manually focus accurately on thanks to a proper FF viewfinder , and have some fun taking creative photographs .

If Pentax don't make one , I'm seriously thinking of going back to shooting film recreationally and getting a better scanner than I have just now .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow