Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,828
Like?
Re: Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 8, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I believe the lens advantage you're speaking of is more due to the resolution of the D600 vs. the D300 than it is to FX vs. DX - that is, you seem to be talking about shooting the 24-85VR on the D600 (at 24MP) and then comparing the result to the D300 (12MP). To do a fair comparison, you'd downsize to 12 MP, and then I think I agree the D600/24-85 shot will probably look better than the D300/ 17-55 shot.

the advantage comes from both more pixels and larger sensor.

For example when using 50 F1.8D, D700's resolves 10mp while D300 resolves 8mp, despite both sensor has 12mp.

see this link

I don't take the DxOMark ratings that literally, myself - I don't think they mean the same thing once you mount the lens on two different bodies. I only use them for relative comparisons on the same body.

This is not to put down the 24-85VR; I have it and use it quite a bit on the D800, so I'm familiar with what it can do on that body; but I think if you shot it on the D700 and compared the results to those from a D300 with the 17-55, you'd probably be more impressed with the shots from the latter combo.

I would disagree. 17-55 is on average one stop faster than 24-85, but D700 is more than one stop better than D300. Also 24-85 has VR.

It isn't just a matter of any one measure. The 17-55 has better micro contrast than the 24-85, less distortion, faster focus, and nicer rendering of out-of-focus areas. The 24-85VR is a real bargain; the 17-55 is still a better lens overall, in my opinion, having used both of them a lot. But it's not a true FX lens, so it's not the most convenient to use on FX, despite the fact that you can make it work, as I've described above.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow