Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
It's not hype...
In reply to tektrader, Apr 8, 2013

The 85 1.8G is a close to perfect lens that absolutely tested off the charts on Photozone. (The Sigma 85 1.4 that others are crowing about tested worse than both the f1.4 and f1.8G Nikkors).

Re: LoCAs, what I think you are missing is as others have mentioned that ALL fast max aperture lenses show some amount of LoCA (Bokeh Fringing).  This is par for the course with all fast lenses used at or near max aperture.

As far as your lens, the sample image you posted is clearly mis-focused, so perhaps you actually made matters worse with AF micro adjust.  AF micro adjust should be used with care, and as a last resort.

I absolutely love my 85 1.8G, it's one of my sharpest lenses out of my 28-50-85 1.8G, Sigma 105 Macro and 70-200 f4 VR.  I can grab it and know that it will not let me down (I might let it down, but the reverse will never be true).

If you think you may have a bad copy, then you should probably exchange it for a new one as you'll never be happy.  But you should be aware that all the great reviews the 85 1.8G received online from the various testing site are not hype.  It really is one of the best portrait lenses in it's class and one of the best values in photography.

Best of luck and happy shooting, Markus Arike

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow