Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,715
Like?
Re: Overall best digital compact for concert photography
In reply to David Pastern, Apr 8, 2013

David Pastern wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thinking way ahead for a future concert (probably a year away) - probably wouldn't get away with bringing my DSLR stuff to a concert, so thinking of getting a digital compact.  What I'd want in such a camera?

Hi

Sounds like a major concert...do you know what the camera policy is?

Sometimes it is none, others p&s ok and sometimes no restrictions.

Do you know where you are likely sitting?

Fast minimum aperture

zoom out to 200, maybe 250mm

great high ISO performance

good AF performance

don't want to spend a total fortune as this would only be used for concert photography from time to time - ordinary photography would be my usual Canon DSLR kit

Does such a beast exist (I'm doubtful) and what would your suggestions be?

Dave

I usually use a dslr and get a photo pass but I think one camera that is going to be excellent for concerts from the crowd is a Pentax Q.....with a fast prime.
In my experience af is not that much of an issue.

The Q is small enough to get into most venues and a fast 50mm manual focus prime is not huge and can be pocketed often....a 50 1.4 gives you the "reach" of around 280mm with 1.4 shutter speeds and iso 1600/2000 is ok, I would probably use 3200 only if I had to. (but then again you do not need as high iso as you would at f4).

Fast longer lenses (like 85 and 100 and 135) would be good from the furthest seats but are bigger and might be more of an issue getting in (I would love to try my 85 1.2 on the Q at a seated indoor concert).

I think it will need practice but might be a great choice if a larger dslr or mirrorless is too big.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow