Anyone went from Nikon D3s to 5D mk III ?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Leos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066
Like?
Anyone went from Nikon D3s to 5D mk III ?
Apr 8, 2013

I am currently running a two system setup with a Canon 1Ds mk III and a Nikon D3s. Most of my system are built around Nikon.

Last year I bought the Nikon D800E, but for some reason I couldnt get along with that camera (to "clunky" and slow, files too big, lots of misses on AF, didnt like the colors and worst of all, my fast Nikon primes of the latest breed showed too many optical aberations when used at wider apertures, thus rendering the 36 mpixel benefit useles to me).

I am considering to move completely to Canon for reasons of glass (I shoot fast primes, and already have the fantastic 85mm f1.2 II) and to save some cost. Also, I have no interest in any of the new Nikon FX bodies.

I am however very interested in the Canon 5D mk III but have not been very impressed with the earlier models. And I am very happy with the D3s, that despite beeing 12 mpixel gives very good results with my lenses and always feel fast and reliable plus the high ISO is still about the best there is.

Have anyone else made it from the D3s to the 5D mk III , and what does it feel like ? Obviously there are differences in a lot of areas, but does the 5D mk III "feel good" to shoot in most situations ? I am very happy with the 1Ds mk III, but it feels a little ackward and slow compared to the Nikon.

How does the viewfinder of the 5D mk III compare to the 1Ds mk III ? I do love the viewfinder of the 1Ds mk III that is larger and brighter than even the D3s...

Hope to get some useful input, as its stressing (but also exiting) to change system. In the end I would like not to regret it though

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Nikon D3S Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow