G5 curiosity has gotten the better of me....

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
Mick, you are quite wrong about the G5's size. it is smaller...
In reply to micksh6, Apr 8, 2013

…than your E-PL5 once you attach a lens and the VF2 (which is how I run my E-PL3).

It is NOT "a DSLR-sized camera" at all. Go and check the specs. The E-PL5 is a fraction bigger on every linear dimension plus weight.

Add the X 14-42 lens (Panny's most compact kit zoom) to the front of the G5, versus the 14-42 II R (Oly's msot compact kit zoom) on the front of the E-PL5, and the G5 is significantly SMALLER than your E-PL5.

Oh -- and within that smaller size, the G5 has a built-in flip-up flash while your E-PL5 has the silly little add-on that I am sure you enjoy using.

And as for the G5 being "good enough" -- phooey! The G5 is actually excellent by any measure.

See my thread of a couple of days ago: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51240829

GF6 -- you slag it for not having a hot shoe. A hot shoe is imperative for your E-PL5 because it doesn't have a built-in flash, but since the GF6 does have a built-in pop-up flash …

LOL!

micksh6 wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Welcome to the club, you may find it a fun experience

Well, I really loved my GH2, so I am hoping this will be an improved, small, version of it.  (I was hoping they would have put the G5/GH2 sensor in the GF6, but they did not, so this seemed like the best option for the second body for me).

Best option if you disregard Olympus, that is. See, if you decide to stick with Panasonic and want the best m4/3 sensor you have to buy a huge Hulk's camera, which GH3 is, Panasonic won't give you any other option.

G5 may be a good enough camera but it's still DSLR-sized camera, Panasonic won't let you to have the same image quality in GF form factor. If you though about freedom of choice - forget about it, you chose your brand.

Panny is restricting freedom of choice? What a silly remark.

I am a happy owner of E-PL5 and I don't even know what to think about people seriously considering GF6 with image quality similar to GX1 but without hot shoe and for a price similar to E-PL5.

I'm looking forward to it!

I'm not:) But I'm sure you will enjoy it and you will be able to take great photos with it. Human's ability to adapt to various constraints can make wonders.

And oh boy, are you demonstrating the truth of your final inanity here.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow