Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,667
Like?
Re: Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?
In reply to AustinTed, Apr 8, 2013

AustinTed wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

I hold the complete opposite view. To get the same IQ, lenses cost a lot less with FF than APS-C.

it has been my own experience that I've spent more on glass after moving to FX.

Of course, that is the experience of most people. it is so merely because as a hobby people gradually spend more money into photography. Upgrading from aps-c to FF is just one of these steps. it is neither the beginning nor the end of the ever increasing spending.

If he wants the same IQ he can stay where he is.

That is not the point. I was responding to the suggestion that "anybody with budget sensitivities steer clear and work on glass first". My point is, those that are budget sensitive, but can afford FF, should go FF because it is cheaper than pursuing good IQ while staying with APs-C.

In regards to OP. if he can sell 17-55 and D300 for a good price he may well get a free ride with D600 + 24-85, from there on every other lens he uses will give him significantly better IQ than he would otherwise get with D300.

Since the op has decent glass he can improve IQ by moving to a more recent dx body as an alternative to jumping to FX and replacing both body and glass.

And it is my view that that is an ultimately more expensive option - staying with APs-C and buy expensive glass.

But my suggestion is that he just enjoy what he has.

You suggestion was "work on glass first", buying more expensive glass is definitely not "enjoy what he has".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow