LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,438
Like?
Re: LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 8, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

Ultimitsu and Erik Ohlson appear to be arguing at cross purposes.

With respect, we are not arguing at cross purposes. there is no misunderstanding of what is being argued, there is only misunderstanding of the concept of aperture.

It is true that in most conversations of photography context, the word aperture is used to refer FL/aperture ratio. It is alright because as long as people are on the same page there is no misunderstanding. But make no mistake, in the strict sense, aperture means the opening, not FL/aperture ratio.

This discussion however went well past that hurdle. Very early on in the discussion I explained that even though LX7 has a smaller FL/aperture ratio, it in fact has a smaller aperture (because it has a smaller sensor and the lens forms a smaller image circle). There can be no misunderstanding of the language. Mr Ohlson disagrees, not because he could not comprehend what I was saying, but because he fundamentally misunderstood the relationship between aperture size and amount of light passes through.

Mr Ohlson is not along for having that misconception, but he is alone in that he refuses to learn despite the fact that I cited him a source and I have asked him to cite a source stating the contrary.

I guess it must be too much of a shock to realise that he has been wrong all his life, so he chooses to stick to what he always thought to be right, even though it is completely wrong.

Other things being equal, camera lenses of different focal lengths and different effective apertures form an image of the same brightness on the film or sensor if their relative aperture (or f number) is the same. But an f1.4 lens WILL form a brighter image than an f1.8 lens.

That statement is correct. But within the context of this discussion, "other things" are not equal, namely the sensor size and image circle, thus it is wrong to claim LX7's F1.4 is "faster" than RX100's F1.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow