Senior MemberPosts: 1,965Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't get your meaning?
In reply to John Sheehy, Apr 8, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

The whole point is that you can't. The Nokia is a Zeiss designed lens. You think that a better lens on the Nokia would match the Pentax and put all the MF manufacturers out of business?

Of course not.  There are other things that distinguish the cameras, such as a bigger sensor area on the MF for less noise, the ability to change lenses, have a lens hood, control flashes, etc.

The Nokia can go to ISO 58. Given the 1/1.2" sensor, the ISO is not that high in FF or Pentax terms.

The sample you show is certainly not the best the Nokia can do.  I've downloaded full 40MP JPEGs that were much sharper and less washed-out looking than the one you showed here, and you're showing features in the Nokia comprising far less pixels than they do in the Pentax; a flawed comparison.  The Pentax should have used a focal length at a ratio to the Nokia's, the same as the pixel pitch ratio.

So you are saying that the Nokia can actually match the Pentax IQ with an improvised hood, same FOV, etc.?

No.  Where did you get the crazy idea that I was saying anything like that?

Because that was the reason I posted those comparisons - replying to somebody else.

My point is that the comparison is biased towards a camera that doesn't need any handicap.  The Nokia crops unfairly have about 40% of the number of pixels representing each object, and there is something wrong with the contrast.

I did mention this but this is what I found on the web. You do not need to look at the same physical details. Even if the tester just turned the camera and took a completely different shot with one of the cameras, the difference is huge and still can be noticed.

I have a Pentax Q, and it has much pixels as small or smaller than the Nokia, and it is leagues better at the pixel level than the sample you gave for the Nokia.

There is a very simple reason for that - the Q has a sensor of 1/2x1/2 the Nokia dimensions and a lens designed to project an image on that sensor. Comparing it to the Nokia on pixel level does not make much sense. Since my post was about somebody claiming that the pixel count is the only factor of resolution, perhaps you can post a shot from your 12mp Pentax Q (6.17 x 4.55 mm sensor) and somebody can post an image taken with the 12mp D700, and we can compare?

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow