C&C appreciated - Basics balancing ambient and flash...

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Photos thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,214Gear list
Like?
Re: What are you trying to do?
In reply to Atoche, Apr 8, 2013

Atoche wrote:

BAK wrote:

Lots of thins to do, depending on what result you want.

1/ change the shutter speed to 1/200, change the aperture to f8, and take the picture.

That will get rid of the yellow, but the picture will now have a darker side.

Or

2/ Leave you light where it is. Put a yellow filter over the flash. Change the camera white balance to tungsten. Now, when you take the photo, the unfiltered "regular" light will shine yellowish light on the side that was yellowish int eh first shot.

And the yellow filter on the flash will make the light from the flash yellowish, too.

The white balance setting on the camera will convert the image so the yellowish color from both lights is changed to clean white.

Or

3/ Turn off the regular light and put a white reflector over there, so the light bounces back into the shadowy part, and is the same color as the flash. Set camera white balance to flash.

BAK

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Basically I was hoping that I would be able to have both lights the same color in the picture.

Your suggestions are very helpfull

1/ - understood, change the exposure so that the ambient light is "shut down" and not seen?

Setting the camera to Flash sets the WB to about 5400K.

Mixing tungsten with a color temperature around 3000K and flash with a color temperature of around 5400K with the camera set to "Flash" is what caused the tungsten light to look yellow.

2/ - understood, seems like with this method I am basically coloring the flash yellow...

Yes, that is what to do.  Buy a sheet of 1/4 CTO gel.  For balancing tungsten with flash you need to stack four sheets to get a full CTO gel.  Here is a good link on how to do this.

KelbyTV - RC Concepcion Showing How to Stack Gels

3/ - understood, seems like I may need a reflector.

This is the best way to go.  Just go to a craft store and buy a sheet of white foam core board.  Foam core boards make great reflectors.  Get one around 36" square or a bit larger - whatever they have as a standard size.

Using this with the shutter speed set to 1/160 to 1/200 sec. will keep any tungsten light from showing up and you can use your flash without an added gel and get good colors if you keep the camera set to Flash.

In hindsight - I think I need to remember that I am the photographer and it's my responsibility to control - and adjust ALL of the lighting to get the results that i want.  I did not stop to think about the whole setup - it seems I should have been able to "see" this...

Thank you again, back to the practice!

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow