Umbrella swivel types and stand reviews...

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,817Gear list
Like?
Re: Umbrella swivel types and stand reviews...
In reply to fagopher, Apr 8, 2013

fagopher wrote:

I  looked at the Strobist website ( I am new to flash photography). They suggest to get a the light stand and a swivel.

I am looking in e-bay and for the swivel I found there are different types B, C, D, E and not sure what else. I found an explanation saying that C is more compact and lightweight than B and have less screws.. so it sounds much better. But then what about the other types?Which one should I buy. I found many in ebay like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Shoe-Umbrella-Holder-Swivel-Light-Stand-Bracket-C-Type-New-US-Shipping-/350591393733?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item51a0e01fc5 at around $7.

No, don't get it.  Here is a much better umbrella bracket.

Impact Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe 9101880 B&H Photo

Also for the stand. I found this one but not sure if this is good quality or not: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140758130084?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Pros:

- compact

- light

My concern is : "Max Weight = 3Kg" is this acceptable?

No, not acceptable.  Your hot-shoe flash, umbrella adapter, and a small umbrella will add up to less than 3 Kg but you want stability and this stand simply looks flimsy.  Just think about what you need if you use a 60" umbrella, which is a great umbrella for you to have.  You should also look into buying some sand bags for extra stability.

You should spend the extra to buy the new LumoPro Compact 7.5ft Stand w/Carrying Strap that David recently recommended.  It is worth the added cost.

Midwest Photo Exchange - LumoPro Compact 7.5ft Stand w/Carrying Strap

Impact Convertible 60" Umbrella UBBW60 B&H Photo Video

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow