Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
AustinTed
Regular MemberPosts: 487
Like?
Re: Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?
In reply to Dylan Colon, Apr 8, 2013

Based on your work the D300 appears to be serving you well.  All of these cameras are just tools and have limitations.  With the FX cams you are still going to hit limitations it's just a matter of where and when.  On the FX cameras you get more breathing room in some areas (ISO, dynamic range), and give things up in other areas (size, weight, cost, dof equivalence as mentioned, frame rate, view finder coverage depending on model, did I say cost?)

I do believe the FX cameras are a major step up, but they are also a serious money trap.  I recommend that anybody with budget sensitivities steer clear and work on glass first (or just steer clear period).  There can be good bargains on some decent DX glass as well - and you have some decent DX glass already like the 17-55mm f2.8, which is very costly to replicate on FX.

The D300 is a fine camera, but the D7000 or D7100 are other options to consider if pure sensor performance is at the top of the list.  If you had either of these two cameras you probably gain a stop of ISO performance, get better dynamic range, and could stick with your current glass.

That said, you'd be delighted with either a D700 or D600 as long as you can also swing the cost with the right glass.  You're shooting at a focal length of 11mm (Tokina?) on your D300, which is a 35mm equivalent of 16mm - I'm sure I don't have to tell you what the equivalent FX lens is going to cost.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow