Output sharpening in Aperture (considering escaping to Lightroom)

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,444Gear list
Like?
Re: Output sharpening - Ap, LR, Topaz & Nik
In reply to mpe, Apr 7, 2013

mpe wrote:

Alpha Doug wrote:

Lightroom's sharpening, taken by itself, compared to "edge sharpening" in Aperture, is slightly better.  Hard to say if you can actually achieve a significantly better printed image using a combination of Edge Sharpen, Camera RAW Fine Tuning and Definition in Aperture, compared Sharpening and Clarity in LR.

nik Sharpener Pro is in a different category.

True, but all these sharpening options are done on picture with full (like 24 megapixels) resolution. When I finish the editing I want to a 1440x960 version for my website, then 960x640 for facebook (using facebook uploader) and 1024x682 version for the iPad. Once I downsample the sharpness crispness is lost. I need to open these exports in an edition and do the sharpening again. That's why I like sharpen on export feature of lightroom.

Does LR automatically sharpen differently for different file sizes? Or do you just choose different sharpening settings for each size? If the latter, you can do the same thing in Aperture by creating versions and applying different sharpening to each.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow