Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,824
Like?
Re: Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?
In reply to Dylan Colon, Apr 7, 2013

I don't think you'd pick up much advantage from a D700 over the D300, other than improved low-light capability, given that you have only one FX lens. From your portfolio, you seem to shoot a lot of pretty wide stuff - things that would come out at 16-24mm on FX. You'd only be able to do that on a D700 with your existing lenses if you're willing to do a lot of cropping - thus, giving up a lot of the resolution, and ending up with something probably not as good as what you have now.

My advice would be not to move to FX until you can also afford the lenses that would let you do you want to do. If your budget would stretch as far as $2000, you might be able to afford a refurb D600 and perhaps the kit 24-85VR (I have that as a travel lens for my D800, and it's not bad at all), or perhaps a wide angle MF lens, say, from Samyang.

I wonder, though, if you really need to switch to FX. I still have a D300, and it's a great camera. You might get more capability for your dollars right now by investing in some new lenses that will also work on a future FX body.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow