Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,604
Like?
Re: Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?
In reply to Dylan Colon, Apr 7, 2013

Dylan Colon wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm currently a college student in the USA, aka, a borderline homeless man.
I'm going on a massive roadtrip this summer to rediscover myself, and I need a camera to document the entire process. I specialize in architecture right now, and I know the ins and outs of RAW manipulation. I've pushed my D300 to the limit, and even ISO 350 is starting to present issues to me in my workflows.

let me give you some food for thought

if you are shooting a d300 at f5.6 get depth of field, you will shoot the D700 at f8 to get the same depth of field

so for landscapes with a tripod, if you can get a wide enough lens, and you have one, you might not see as much advantage as you think

50mm f1.4 on a full frame has a pretty shallow depth of field, so you might end up shooting at f2 anyway

if you don't have it the sigma 30mm f1.4 DX or new 35mm f1.4 FX lens might be a better to buy than a new body for a starving college student with a D300

there are certainly cases where high iso is the only answer and then the D600 would be a better choice vice the D700

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow