Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,113Gear list
Like?
Re: resolution
In reply to joger, Apr 7, 2013

joger wrote:

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Below X there are a bicycle basket and the white net can be seen clearly with d800. crop

there are also two persons walking - clearly a big difference!!!

Ironic off.

Sure there is an advantage and that's also the reason why Canon will follow sooner or later with a high res sensor. That said it's still the lenses that seem to have much more influence to the equation. An extraordinary good lens can make the differencee of the perceivable image quality whereas the better sensor just shows up at extremely high magnification - that you'd never be able to print.

A 100% crop of a D800(E) file would print (with the given ppi of my monitor) 1800x1200 mm (70 x  46 inches) - at normal large print sizes of 24 x 36 inches (= 600x900mm) I'd doubt that you'd see any difference.

That said it is clearly visible in prints when you compare e.g. the 14-24 at 17 mm vs. the TS-E 17 with lower pixel count - the TS-E 17 on my 5D II clearly wins in the corners and still has enough resolution in the center of the frame.

I think the TSE-17 is going to beat the 14-24G @ 17mm in the corners no matter what camera you use though the 14-24G makes the two Canon zooms in the range look like kit lenses. For the convenience of the zoom, one assumes the user cuts slack on corner performance.

I believe that a higher resolution camera will make any reasonably decent lens better. I have a bunch of Zeiss lenses and a D3x and D800E. If you consider Zeiss lenses decent, I could test the resolution of both cameras on a single lens.

It's the lenses that count the end of the day and it is the right choice IMHO to concentrate on the best optics you can get - it supports also new sensors when the will come out.

Just my 2CT

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow