Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. ...
In reply to tektrader, Apr 7, 2013

It should be sharp; if not, you may have a poor copy if you are testing correctly.  Use support, Liveview focus, manually verified, and flash to eliminate subject and camera motion completely.

CA, bokeh fringing, and flare are inherent problems for lenses with huge apertures (along with focal plane curvature).  You have to be able to live with them in order to get the other creative advantages.  Perhaps you can get better results with multi-$1000 exotics, but the Nikon 1.8G lenses offer a pretty good balance of sharpness (which you cannot correct in post if it is missing) with a few compromises.  Software correction for CA is pretty good today with almost zero effort, and there are other more tedious ways to selectively clean it up in Photoshop for problem areas that are crucial.  Or you can just work in B&W like me.  

My 85/1.8G requires an AF Fine Tuning adjustment of about +18, which is annoying, and I can't adjust it far enough with extension tubes.  However, it is sharp.  For me, flare is by far the biggest drawback; it limits the usefulness for night shooting with bright lights present.

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow