D600 vs D800

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,862
Like?
It are 2 camera's aimed at different usage
In reply to RhysM, Apr 7, 2013

RhysM wrote:

24 vs 36 megapixels - i'm thinking not really relevant as 24 is more than enough and on the rare occasion you may want to print a huge canvas you can simply buy something like genuine fractals and upsize.

Indeed. For most people usage it is more than you need. That is why Nikon made the D800, it is a camera made for specific usage and users. Those who need the highest resolution possible out of a Nikon DSLR should buy a D800.

The D600 is more in line with the average photographer and usage in mind. Comparing both is a non issue as well. If you need the highest resolution/and/or movie quality possible buy the D800(E) If not, buy the D600.

39 vs 51 AF points - from what i gather this is an issue if you shoot in very low indoor light, but if you believe what is circulating on the internet the new firmware has improved this.

I've not much problems before the new firmware and I have lesser after. The AF system in the D800/D4 is a complicated one, color/contrast (scene) has a lot of influence on it. I think most underestimate it a bit, many found it out already..

1/4000th max shutter speed - The D700 has 1/8000 with base ISO of 200 and no one complained about that, so i can't see the D600 having 1/4000 with ISO 100 base being a problem as it's effectively the same thing.

It is a simple as that. If you really need 1/8000 of a sec. buy a d800. There are Nikon cameras' out there who give you the option, so if you need it buy that one.

1/200 flash sync - I doubt the average photographer who fits within the above category would ever be caused a problem by the 1/50 reduction.

That might actually be a very good point for many to consider an other model.

Magnesium front plate - i don't think many people will be hanging any HUGE lenses off their D800 nor subjecting the body to a lot of "professional" physical abuse.

Use logic sense and there is no problem. Holding your camera at the base with a 200-400mm lens, yes it will damage the lens mount.
The D800 might give the impression it is of a lesser quality build than the D700 (it's not a follow up, but as a comparison) But I've been not so gentle the past year with my D800 as I do with my other camera's, there is nothing broken, or seriously scratched or damaged. What I cealery do notice is that internally the D800 gives a much better build impression than that from example of the D700 The heavy clunking of the mirror housing for example.

Thoughts?

As always, buy the camera you need.
Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow