Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,884
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to tektrader, Apr 7, 2013

tektrader wrote:

I am not an amateur at using the microfocus adjustment on the D800. I used FOCAL  to set it as well as the lens align protractor. Unlike most other lenses I have, even at F1.8 what should be a rather sharp focus point on the protractor. The loads of CA made it almost impossible to fine tune with Lens Align. So I resorted to Focal. The micro focus point setting of -11 is the same as most of the other lenses. So I know its set correctly. There is NO CA at the focal plane.

Of course there isn't, that is the nature of LoCA. It shows up in OOF areas, so in front of the focal plane in one colour (magenta in the case of most lenses) and behind the focal plane (green with most lenses)

Its all in the OOF areas. If this is normal,

It is normal.

Its not what I need, I also use this to shoot panoramas and the LOca doesnt completely go away till F8.

You won't see it in panoramas, as you shoot at much larger focus distances than your test shots.

I am thinking its just a poor sample of this lens. I just got confirmation from Cameta to send it back.

No idea (if you have a poor sample), you have not given normal photos with it to judge focus accuracy. The LoCA is normal.

Very dissapointed at the moment. Totally not what I was expecting. Not sure what I am going to do now about replacing it.

Nothing, the old AF 85mm f1.8 has LoCA too, and PF. The Sigma 85mm f1,4 has strong LoCA too. The 85mm f1.4 Nikkor has LoCA too.

Just don't make such a big deal out of it, I guess. In normal usage it rarely is a problem, and if you happen to have a shot where it is a problem, LoCA is easily masked in PS, or dealt with in Lightroom.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow