Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to ed kelly, Apr 7, 2013

I am not an amateur at using the microfocus adjustment on the D800. I used FOCAL  to set it as well as the lens align protractor. Unlike most other lenses I have, even at F1.8 what should be a rather sharp focus point on the protractor. The loads of CA made it almost impossible to fine tune with Lens Align. So I resorted to Focal. The micro focus point setting of -11 is the same as most of the other lenses. So I know its set correctly. There is NO CA at the focal plane. Its all in the OOF areas. If this is normal, Its not what I need, I also use this to shoot panoramas and the LOca doesnt completely go away till F8.

I am thinking its just a poor sample of this lens. I just got confirmation from Cameta to send it back.

Very dissapointed at the moment. Totally not what I was expecting. Not sure what I am going to do now about replacing it.

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow