LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,598
Like?
Re: LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 7, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Mikedigi wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:I recently bought both an LX7 and a Canon S-100 to see for myself what allthe fuss with "larger sensor" is about. . . . . . . .

Thanks Erik, I am surprised to read that you bought those 2 cameras, as I thought you were all for ultracompact superzooms, i.e. the TZs/ZSs.

Interesting - thanks for your thoghts.

Mike

Hi, Mike,

Yes, after hearing the paeans about the wonderfully superior IQ of larger sensor cameras, I decided to just check it out. I could have used my son in law's s100, but that would be a hassle and leave him cameraless. BTW, he shoots LOTS of video.

After all, I can re-sell the cameras at very little loss - what's money for?

So far I am hugely unimpressed, but I have to find a better place to test cameras: you may recall my aperture tests - that horse who was the "Hazard" is now on the lookout and comes over for some human interaction as soon as I show up and views of a gray hors's nostril don't provide a valid test 

So, at this point I'm reserving judgement.

BTW, I also bought one of the Canon TX-1's that Cyril Catt uses - mostly because it will do "Super Macro" focus right up to the front element of the lens. The strange thing about the TX-1 is that it's "only a 10x zoom" - but it's 1.9 digital zoom is actually a tad SHARPER than the ZS19. But the 19 is a LOT easier to use, and the difference is fairly minor. Please note the red paper box reading "Morgan Hill Times". Sorry the ZS19 shot is crooked - I was avoiding that silly horse, and may have defeated the OIS 

I'm not positive these are the correct images - I'll check the EXIF after posting and remove the post if they are incorrect.

They appear to be the correct images - the difference may well be the smaller aperture of the ZS19

Addendum: Turns out that the old, original TZ1 (10x zoom) doesn't do too badly, either. PSE8 screen grab after only a bit of brightening. File size reduced "For Web (high):

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow