new iMac

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adjuster
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?
Re: new iMac
In reply to robodoc, Apr 7, 2013

robodoc wrote:

Thinking about selling my 27" iMac (2009) i7, and getting new iMac 27". I do photography for fun, not a living! Also use aperture primarily. Questions:

1. 2.9 or 3.2 GHz? Much difference?

Depends on what you pay for them. Take a look at the refurbished prices or join NAPP and get a substantial discount.

2. 8 or 16 gb Ram?

Get the lowest quantity Ram and get third party ram - cheaper than Apple.

3. Fusion drive or regular 1 tb drive (all my images, etc are on external G-raid)?

Fusion gets you about the same startup speed as a Solid State Drive, so may be worth it.

4. For photography, much difference between the NVIDIA GTX 660M (512mb) vs GTX 675MX (1 tb)?

Check out Barefeats.com for a comparison. http://barefeats.com/mbp12ma.html

For what I have read, Aperture does not make a lot of use of the Graphic Processing Unit (GPU) so the choice of card should not matter much. I believe that the GPU is mostly used with Photoshop and video software, although there may be some functions in Aperture that take advantage of the GPU. In the future, who knows?

What is the best combo/bang for the buck here?

I replaced my harddrive in a similar iMac with a larger, faster one and the CD-rom with a SSD. Easy to do with the old iMacs. Very hard to do with the latest ones where it is very difficult to open the case. Now have a wicked fast computer. It would be fun to upgrade. Just can't justify it.

-- hide signature --

Jeffrey H. Ferguson

Adjuster's gear list:Adjuster's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow