Venice restaurant suggestions

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
jhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Venice restaurant suggestions
In reply to mholdef, Apr 7, 2013

Hi, excellent question. We went to Venice last Spring for our anniversary. However, having been to Florence the previous year, as Italian food lovers we were really disappointed with Florence.  While the architecture, scenery, countryside, rural restaurants and wines were all superb, the cuisine inside Florence was a huge disappointment; it pandered to moderate, fast food palettes at exorbitant tourist rates. So, when we went to Venice, suspecting the same experience, I went looking for a gourmet guide. I note you are from France so you will know what I mean. Now, far be it me, a Brit, to inform someone from France about where to eat (although I did live in the Loire Valley at Saumur for a year), but here goes!

First, avoid the tea houses/cafes in St Mark’s Sq; overpriced and you pay an outrageous surcharge for the music!  Second, avoid the normal tourist restaurants; moderate cuisine and expensive.

Third, I found Frommer’s Venice Day by Day to have good restaurant suggestions. It rather depends on where you are staying and how far you want to walk. We were in the San Marco area and went to four different San Marco restaurants all in the guide and were please with every one of them. They were small unpretentious places, but the food was excellent, especially the seafood, the wines were good and the service was friendly.  For individual places, I suggest you buy Frommer’s, which is a good guide.

Finally, you just have to go to Harry’s bar! Expensive – yes. Sheer indulgence – yes.  But as a dinner party talking point vis 1930/50s film stars – worth the high price! Oh, and my street cred with my better half went up immeasurably!

Hope that helps. I have just posted my Venice gallery, so as you are asking this question in a photography site I assume that photography interests you too. Have a great trip; we did and long to return. Post some images.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow