Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,692Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?
In reply to Amamba, Apr 7, 2013

Amamba wrote:

The more I research the topic the more I think I would need to splurge on a modern lens first.

I wish there was a Sony E mount equivalent of Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS (but compact). The difference when shooting the same subject at same settings with Sony kit and T3i with Sigma is noticeable, and I think it's lens more than camera.

Right now it appears the lens that could make most difference is SEL50F1.8. Doesn't look like there's a zoom available yet that would combine the IQ of Sigma with compact factor at reasonable price.

I wish Sony had a 35 1/8 or similar, 50 mm is a bit tight.

Typically a portrait lens, which you requested, is in the range of 50mm although there is a lot to be said in favour of 85's; the flat look, etc.

A 35 is really to wide to use as a portrait lens, introducing slight facial distortion.

I am hoping that Sony will bring us a fast prime 85mm very soon...it's a gaping hole in their line-up. In the meanwhile a good Russian 85 was mentioned. Other cmanual lenses can be found, some are excellent. There was a famous Minolta MD 50mm f2, for example.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow