Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
Taroko Gorge
Apr 7, 2013

Taroko Gorge is a national park located in the east/northeast area of Taiwan. The nearest city is Hualien. According to wikipedia Taroko means "magnificent and beautiful" and it most certainly is. I visited there on friday as I was lucky enough to have a few days off work.

I recently purchased a x100 so I decided to take this as my only camera. I'm not going to lie it was challenging taking just a 35mm equivalent camera, something a bit wider would of made things easier but I very much enjoyed shooting with it.

The first few pictures are of a place called the shakadang trail also known as the mysterious valley trail and it's supposed to be secretive. 40 years ago young couples use to go there. It may of been secretive then but it's full of tourists now.

I started off using the camera manually including ISO but I often took too long changing settings because I'm not use to the camera, which would of been fine had I been alone but I was with my girlfriend and she didn't wan't to be waiting around for me all the time (I know, so inconsiderate :-)) so I changed to P mode. One thing I noticed about the camera was that you couldn't change to auto ISO without going through the menu. I must admit I found this odd.

Moving up and deeper into the gorge I came to a place called the External Spring Shrine which is like a memorial to the people who died building a central highway across Taiwan.

Here's one more taken on the way across to the Shrine.

There are many ways to travel in the gorge, but walking is not one of them unless you want to spend all day and night walking. I went by scooter which is actually quite allot of fun on windy roads dodging big coaches who kept getting stuck when the roads narrowed.

Moving further up I came to an area where the water turned a milky blue colour but I'm not sure why, I'll have to try and look it up.

Here's a picture of it.

Overall it takes about 45mins to drive from one end to the other by scooter but you can walk further.

I felt I learnt a bit about the x100 on this trip, what's it good at and what it's not so good at, however I'm most definitely not familiar with it yet. I tried the macro function which can be a bit tricky especially as you have to get so close due to the wide nature of the lens.

Taking this was a bit hair raising. I'm not sure what it is but it looked like a wasp only 3 times the size and brown.

On the way back to the motel my girlfriend and I stopped at the beach in Haulien. The x100 is great for environmental portraits.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome for the pictures.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow