The flare from the 7-14 on my E-M5 is no longer purple

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: The flare from the 7-14 on my E-M5 is no longer purple

Michael J Davis wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

Excellent! Does it work equally on the G1, or does it over compensate?

Haven't had the time to compare with the G1 yet, but as far as I can tell at this point, the filter means the 7-14 on the E-M5 will work just the way it does on the G1. What the Wratten 2A filter does is essentially to strengthen UV filtering to approximately the same level as that of the UV filter already fitted on the sensor in many/most/all Panasonic bodies. As far as I can tell at this point, the reason why the E-M5 has the purple-flare problem whereas the G1 doesn't is that the E-M5 has a weaker UV filter on the sensor. Some of the flare/reflections from the 7-14 are precisely at the border between UV and longer wavelengths, and the E-M5 UV filter lets them pass whereas the G1 UV filter doesn't.

Thanks, Anders! I'm still v nervous about putting a filter on the 7mm, but this sounds really positive!

Nothing to be nervous about is there? As far as I can see, there is no risk damaging anything by taping a gel filter behind the rearmost element (which is what I have now done). If you find it doesn't work, all you have lost is the marginal cost of the filter.

As I have mentioned in prior posts, everything works quite well so far although I still need/want further practical experience before I am ready to draw any final conclusions. The only downside I have noticed at this stage is that if you have a really strong and concentrated light source in the frame itself (rather than just outside), e.g., the sun or a spotlight pointing directly at the camera, you will get additional flare from the filter itself. However, I think I'd rarely want to shoot scenes where this is a problem. Light sources of the kind you'd normally have in the frame when shooting indoors or outside at night, e.g., ordinary bulbs, street lights, etc., do not present any problems as far as I can tell at this point.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow