F900EXR - I'm in love

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,137Gear list
Like?
no useful data there ... sorry to say ...
In reply to Richard Southworth, Apr 7, 2013

Richard Southworth wrote:

However, the "right" way to do the comparison is crank out ISO 1600 raws thru a common converter with noise reduction and sharpening turned off

That is "one" way to perform a comparison. It is not the "right" way ... the common converter is of course a great idea to eliminate a variable, but performing no effort to improve the files means that you are limiting the usefulness of the results. They do not answering interesting questions, in my opinion.

These questions and variations are answered by your methods (and by the DPReview comparator):

• If I put in no effort, what results will the camera give me?
  • What do Adobe's default settings look like?

Now, I don't know about you, but to me these questions are as interesting as the question "if I boil a steak meat with no additional spices, preparation or sauces will it be bland?"

About the same level of useful information.

Now, if you want to answer the question "what is the ultimate potential of these cameras' output?" then you have to perform a different test.

When I actually download and process the images in Lightroom I find that the differences quickly narrow to an entirely different level when compared with what yo usee in the "no effort" tests. Even cameras with widely different DXOMark scores are far closer in ultimate potential than you might think once you get past the trivial tests ...

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow