Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Housing works really well
In reply to Robert Anderson, Apr 7, 2013

Got the Meike (Meikon) housing for the RX100. Took it on a whitewater kayaking trip yesterday. It worked really well. It fits the camera well and all of the controls are accessible. There was no vignetting. I was able to see the screen well enough to frame shots. I often shot one-handed. The housing feels like a DSLR with a nice grip only lighter.

I kept it tethered to my PFD  (life jacket) and tucked in the front of the PFD facing downward. This kept the lens clean and free of water drops for the most part. When I went over larger ledges where I was completely covered with water, I did sometimes get drops on the lens. I had attached a piece of chamois to the strap and it worked well to wipe the lens when needed.

I shot at ISO 200 all day and was able to keep the shutterspeed high enough to freeze the action and make up for my movement. I did keep the IS turned on.

There was no problem with flare even when shooting into the sun. Here are some samples from the trip:

Dave gets a face full at Riley's Rapid

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow