Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is.
In reply to Tyr-Sog, Apr 7, 2013

Tyr-Sog wrote:

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

tektrader wrote:

Well i finally got around to buying one after I sent back the Samyang.

Whats the deal wiith the CA ???   It also doesnt seem that sharp. I microfocus adjusted it today. Really its isnt that good.

Is my copy a dud? look at the photo and click look at it at 100%. The phot is a 60% crop, the focus point is the on the edge of the wood toward the right. Look at all the green CA on the left.................... and its red to the right (which was cropped off)

Is this lens a BAD copy ????????????

The Lens Align Ruler looks horrible, indistinct focus point at F1.8 and CA in both directions each side of the fuzzy focus point. I am really bummed by this.

Can someone post some 100% crops so I can see what their copy is like?

What you have now learned is that you should always do your own research before buying lenses and never simply buy into the hype.

I know its a bit late but I can tell you now that the Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX has 30% less barrel distortion that the G, 20% less vignetting wide open than the G, its sharper wide open than the G, its actually sharper at f2 that the G is at f2.8!  And what's more, it costs about half the price!

I found these figures quickly and easily by simply comparing their test results on Photozone, where they were both tested on a FF D3X.

So should you sell the Nikon and get the Sigma instead so you can not only get a better lens but also save yourself about £600 in the process?...That's entirely up to you.

He bought the 1.8G, not the 1.4G.  So we're back at halves, the 1.8G is half the cost of the Sigma 1.4 .

Whoops, my bad...Anyway I Just checked and perhaps not supprisingly the Sigma is sharper at every aperture than the 1.8 G.

Saying that ,I'd still save and pay double for the siggy.

OP, I think the 'hype' is the same with the 35 1.8G(I thought it was complete garbage, had 2 copies 8 months apart).  It's think the hype is built upon a price to performance ratio.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow