How does the 75mm f1.8 compare to the 43 150mm f2?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
Re: How does the 75mm f1.8 compare to the 43 150mm f2?
In reply to clengman, Apr 7, 2013

clengman wrote:

Christian Grevstad wrote:

Does anyone have an idea how the sharpness of these lenses compare?

I've been looking around the web for mtf-charts but haven't really been able to get any kind of definitive answer. If I'm not mistaken, the 43 SHG 150 f2.0 maintains its resolution very well all the way to f16 and is not as susceptible to diffraction? (According to the MFT chart).

Any insight and help is appreciated. I'm looking for lenses that maintan their resolving power to the corners, and preferably stopped down as far as possible. Any suggestions? I tried to compare the MTF-charts of the Olympus 43 7-14 with the Lumix 7-14 but they seem somewhat different+ According to those the m43 seemed a bit better, which tell you the truth seems unlikely to me..

And what about the 43 HG 11-22? How does it compare to the m43 7-14 in terms of IQ?

Stopping down is the great equalizer. If you spend some time looking at SLRgear, you'll see that most lenses perform similarly at that aperture. I don't think there's any aspect of lens design that can lessen the effect of diffraction. A truly bad lens may have aberrations that are not improved enough as the lens is stopped down to get to this level playing field, but I think those are probably not common.

Lenstip has reviews of both the 75mm and 150mm but obviously, these were done with different cameras, and can't be compared directly. I wish lenstip had a review of one of the more pedestrian telephoto zooms, but I think it would be instructive to look at the review of the panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 and compare it to the oly 75mm. Consider that the zoom at f/16 resolves at about 40 lp/mm regardless of focal length. The 75mm prime also resolves at about 40 lp/mm at f/16. So does the panasonic 14mm f/2.5... and the oly 45mm f/1.8... and the oly 12mm f/2... and the oly 17mm f/1.8...

If you want to shoot at f/16 don't worry about getting an expensive lens. I bet the oly 40-150 will do about as well as the four thirds 150mm f/2.

...or you can look at a sampling of four thirds lenses. I looked at the 12-60 zoom, the 150 f/2 and the 25 f/2.8. All were very similar at f/16 resolving in the neighborhood of 30 lp/mm. Actually the 25mm pancake did a hair better in the center at that aperture than the other two, but not so much better as to be very noticeable probably.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow