Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G
In reply to engbert, Apr 7, 2013

This was taken hand held but note the shutter speed was 1/500 so no shake issues. This CA is apparent regardless of using live view or the mirror. Distance about 4 metres. The FOCAL b&w focus pattern is also peppered with CA. After rejecting the SAMYANG 85 for being a bit soft and no better than the 70-200 @85mm. This lens is worse.

FOCUS point is in the correct spot. The lower right edge. Microfocus adjust is a in the Nikon menu to allow lenses or cameras that dont focus quite right to be adjusted perfectly so the TTL mirror focusses at the same point as Live View.

It came from Cameta camera.  Hope there are no return issues.

engbert wrote:

That does look awful.  I had been considering one of these lenses.

Please would you tell us how you did it.  Was the camera on a tripod? What as the focus distance?  How did you focus - AF or manual, what focus mode?  I do not understand 'micro-focusing.'

Did you look at it in Nikon view to see the actual focus point? (Must be used before cropping.)

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow