Contituation of the Versatility thread

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Contituation of the Versatility thread
In reply to Martin.au, Apr 7, 2013

Introduction

I found this video of a Canon 400, f2.8 on a Canon 1D2N, showing it going through it's focus from 4 to infinity and vice versa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fzq7-pYytM

Out of curiosity I setout to measure how fast the OM-D with 75-300 would do the same.

Conditions - Dusk, streetlights on, 1/20 at f6.7 ISO 1250. (So pretty dark).

Methodology - OM-D

Camera - S-AF, single centre box. Lens set at 300mm and f6.7.

1) Setup camera on tripod, focussed it at approx 1.5m (focused on the ground under the tripod).

2) Set centre focus box on a feature 100-200m away.

3) Recorded with iPhone the procedure of halfpressing the button until the green confirmation square showed up.

4) Repeated steps 1 and 2.

Counted frames in the video.

So, using this methodology I got 13, 16, 17 and 21 frames from button to confirmation.

Average is 16.75 frames. Video speed is 29.97fps

Average focus time is therefore 0.57 seconds. I suspect this improves when it's not after sunset.

Methodology - Canon

Now, onto the Canon 400 f2.8 on a Canon 1d2n

Grabbed the video from youtube and counted frames again.

21 , 21, 20, 20, 20 from end to end of the focus range at 30FPS. I'm not sure how much slower it is if it has to stop and confirm focus.

This gives a speed of 0.68 seconds. I have no idea how much a penalty or advantage is involved if it actually has to focus on something.

I've included a picture showing the conditions.

Conclusion

The claim that mirrorless is slow to focus is definitely not universal.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow