Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,501Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 7, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Robin, why not do a simple resampling using PS CS6? I routinely take 12mp images to 16" x 24" and they look VERY sharp. Maybe use Genuine Fractals if you can't resample with CS6 (or 3, or 4, or 5). Your Epson 7800 will love you for it - and yes. I agree, 240 ppi is a great way to go with the Epson. Remember when the D3x was THE camera? I have seen many stunning and huge pro prints fro this 24mp camera.

Hi Steve,

I do resample with CS6 before final sharpening. While it is a good technique, it does not replace resolution.

I've printed D100 6MP images, D2x and D700 12MP images, as well as D800E 36MP images at sizes up to 24x36" on the 7800. I am very familiar with what each is capable of producing.

Upscaling and sharpening will give the impression of a sharp in-focus image. However, there is a significant difference in the detail included.

A cousin came to visit a few days ago to help a mutual friend who had lost a husband. My cousin appreciates art, but does not know much about photography. Our friend is an artist who has worked in numerous media including painting, sculpture, and done some photography.

I was showing them some prints and the two things they commented on were the lighting and the detail. They were very impressed with both.

Ansel and Edward used 8x10 cameras for a reason.

Yep. They were the best available - at the time.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow