Who's going from m4/3 to dSLR or vice versa.

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Si2005
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's going from m4/3 to dSLR or vice versa.
In reply to Steve, Apr 7, 2013

I spend most of my time trying to decide what kit to use. It's all a compromise anyway.

If I spent more time taking pics and learning to use Lightroom and PS Elements properly I am sure I would get great results.

All of my good pics have been through good composition and would still have been good if I'd taken them using a Fuji disposable camera. All of my crap pics would still have looked crap on a 5D mkIII with a top spec L lens, although they would have been noiseless, well exposed and sharp as hell.

I use m3/4 kit because it's a bit smaller and I feel a bit less conspicuous, which means I take better pictures. Nex kit is good too. It's personal preference.

I've spent way too much time and money on marginal improvements. In reality the Oly 5060WZ I bought in 2005 takes great pictures in good light.

Find a camera you enjoy using and use it

When I look at photos I took with a Minolta F200 years ago, they still looked great at 4mp

All this hooha about the latest kit appeals to the gadget lover in me. I really like new kit and features. But does it make more than 1% difference to my photography skills......no.

For me this whole shebang is to do with consumerism and time constraints. Advertising is powerful and I  get sucked into the hype. Add my 11 hour work day and weekend family commitments, plus guilt at taking 3 hours out of a day to take photos and it's easier to fuel my photographic interest by buying/trading equipment than it is to actually go out and take pictures.

If you are a Pro, use an SLR. The manufacturers are hell bent on keeping this tech at the top of the tree (£ and performance) even though I'm sure they could actually add the features to lower end cameras (just look at the recent Canon mirrorless effort vs. all the resources they have at their disposal, and the G1X, how slow was that? Although it still took good pics)

If you are a casual user, make a list of things you need (fast AF, good high ISO IQ etc.) and pick the best camera for you.

If you prefer to have both a mirrorless and an SLR then I'm sure that's what most people would choose if they had the money anyway. So enjoy.

Si2005's gear list:Si2005's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
pollNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow