Started Jan 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,795
Like?
Re: DMC-ZS30 with USB 2.0?!
In reply to Impulses, Apr 7, 2013

Impulses wrote:

windmillgolfer wrote:

Isn't there a simple and inexpensive solution here - assuming it is possible to buy a USB 3.0 card reader.

-- hide signature --

Yes, but then why then have USB 2.0 or 1.1 in the camera? Why workarounds? The answer is that many user like to use the cameras USB port to download their images. It is easier than having to open the camera taking the memory card out, finding the reader, inserting the memory card etc.

Is it to much to expect from a camera like this that it's transfer rates are decent? Not just for now... but for the time and years to come. The years where the camera will be used to take 18.1 megapixel pictures and Full HD (1920 x 1080) video. A use where 5000 Mbps will be noticeable better than 480 Mbps?
I am not asking Panasonic to invent something new. I just would expect them to adopt a standard that is more than 4 years old.
Best regards,
Krissi

I'm surprised no one's said this, so much so that I felt compelled to create an account to do so... Why no USB 3.0? Simple, same reason you aren't seeing it on smartphones yet, the vast majority of flash media used in either device isn't fast enough to saturate USB 2.0, let alone 3.0...

Most smartphones or SD can't be read from much faster than like 30MB/s, so why would they bother with the added expense of a faster controller when 99% of people won't reap the benefit?

Also, believe it or not USB 3.0 controllers are still more expensive than USB 2.0 ones. Intel didn't even integrate it into their desktop chipsets until the very last generation (until then it required an extra chip on motherboards).

Welcome aboard!

This sounds reasonable to me.

And, I really haven't found download time to be a problem, although I am somewhat atypical in that I don't fill a card very often, nor have I ever emptied a battery in less than a day, in my ZS19 even on my trip to Japan last year.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow