Re: From the D800 manual
In reply to pixncolour, Apr 7, 2013

pixncolour wrote:

Just to summarize my observations on AF-C S:

AF Camera settings are a1 = Focus; and a4 = Shutter/AF-On

Scenario 1:

Focusing unto featureless subject, the camera WILL NOT fire since it is OOF

Scenario 2:

Focusing unto featureless subject but near (within maybe 9-focus points) an object which has enough contrast: camera WILL select the nearest focus point and WILL fire

AF Camera settings are a1 = Focus; and a4 = AF-On

Scenario 1:

Focusing unto featureless subject, the camera WILL fire even OOF

Scenario 2:

Focusing unto featureless subject but near (within maybe 9-focus points) an object which has enough contrast: camera WILL select the nearest focus point and of course WILL fire

Well, this reply will close out the thread.

Let me end it by saying I cannot reproduce your results.  I have been testing this on and off all day.  My results are repeatable.  I'm sure you would say the same about yours so I guess we will simply have to disagree on this.

I have my camera set to a1 = Focus and a4 = AF-ON only.  I have the camera set to AF-C in Single Point mode.

I point the camera at a featureless object (like a wall) with a picture frame hanging within the 9 point range.  Never, ever, ever does the camera lock on to the picture frame.  Never, ever have I been able to trip the shutter if I do not let the selected AF point drift over the picture frame.

If I set the camera to 9 point mode in AF-C and aim the camera at the same featureless wall with a picture frame nearby the camera will lock onto the picture frame immediately and I can fire the camera.

I have no explanation or ideas on why our results do not agree.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow