D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Sports photographers WANT AF-C to change targets, rather than hunt.
In reply to m_appeal, Apr 6, 2013

m_appeal wrote:

That's not how ifocus-release works on my camera... I am pointing it at  a blank wall and no focus lock is achieved (it's hunting). however I'm still able to trip the shutter...

If the camera has NEVER achieved a single focus lock while in Focus release mode it will NOT allow you to trip the shutter.  This is subtle but it is an important difference.

If it really is not working the way I have stated I would suspect that there is something wrong with your camera.  In which case you need to get it fixed and I sympathize with this inconvenience.

But let me just ask one more thing to make sure we're on the same page here.

Go to Custom setting a1 in the menu.  This is "AF-C priority selection".  There are three options there; Release, Release + focus, and Focus.  Have you chosen the bottom one that says "Focus" only?

This, in combination with AF-C single point focus mode should give you the results that I have previously described.

In addition, are you sure that your test wall is completely featureless?  No texturing of any kind that could cause light to create highlight/shadow areas where AF could lock?  Can you try this again by taping a sheet of white paper to the wall and using that as your target?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow