Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CLYoung
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
How would you have lit this?
Apr 6, 2013

My lighting set-up is somewhat primitive. For this shot I was using an old Pentax flash with a cheap optical trigger with an umbrella to the right (as you look at the photo) and in front of my son and a large white reflector behind him to the left. The on-camera flash was set to something like 1/64 so it was basically just setting off the off-camera flash. There was a south-facing window to the right (again, as you look at the photo).

Aside from the fact there is a blown highlight on his raised arm, I'm just not sure the flash was in the right place. Should I have tried lighting him from underneath instead? (He was on a bed, so I could have had the flash quite low). Also there's a really obvious curve of light on the back wall. I couldn't have moved the umbrella and flash back any more due to limited space.

Any advice on lighting this better gratefully received. My only other way of doing off-camera flash is with a Sunpak PZ42X on the end of a fairly short cord, which limits the positioning. Buying more kit wouldn't be my first choice of ways to improve it.

CLYoung's gear list:CLYoung's gear list
NEX5R Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow