D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Sports photographers WANT AF-C to change targets, rather than hunt.
In reply to m_appeal, Apr 6, 2013

m_appeal wrote:

MasterOfGoingFaster wrote:

Given that AF-C is designed for moving targets (primarily sports), doesn't it make sense that AF-C would be designed to use adjacent AF points if the primary point lacks contrast?  I sure don't want it to hunt in such a case.  And remember that a sports photographer has trouble keeping a single point on a moving target 100% of the time.

I believe the camera is working properly for the intended use.

-- hide signature --

Ken Elliott
Equipment in profile.

Only if you tell the camera you want these points used (by choosing the 9, 21 or 51 points)! What's the point of having single-focus continuous focusing mode if the camera ignores the focus point and decides to focus on something elses?

While I would agree with you, it's a moot point.  In my testing the chosen AF spot will not move if you have chosen Focus release mode.  So everyone in this thread can debate until the cows come home about how it SHOULD work.  The only thing that matters is how it DOES work and that one understands how it works so you can adjust the camera accordingly.

If you don't want the AF spot to move then set the camera to single point mode and Focus release mode.  In my testing the chosen AF spot will not move when set this way.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow