D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
GroWeb
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Sports photographers WANT AF-C to change targets, rather than hunt.
In reply to MasterOfGoingFaster, Apr 6, 2013

MasterOfGoingFaster wrote:

Given that AF-C is designed for moving targets (primarily sports), doesn't it make sense that AF-C would be designed to use adjacent AF points if the primary point lacks contrast?  I sure don't want it to hunt in such a case.  And remember that a sports photographer has trouble keeping a single point on a moving target 100% of the time.

I believe the camera is working properly for the intended use.

I agree that AF-C in 9-, 21-, or 51-point dynamic area mode must have been designed for targets that move left, right, up, down, towards the camera, or away from the camera; but I had assumed that AF-C in single-point mode was designed only for subjects that move closer to or farther away from from the camera (or in relation to which the camera moves along that vector), or that could easily be kept under the chosen AF point by moving the camera. Michael Dawson's findings (which I replicated with my own camera) about how AF-C in single point mode operates on the basis of the A-1 setting are very eye-opening, and seem to highlight the subtle complexity of the AF system and how important it is to fully understand how it operates.

GroWeb's gear list:GroWeb's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow