Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,129Gear list
Like?
Using the WiFi Remote for Shooting with the ZS30
Apr 6, 2013

Many of the new cameras and camcorders have WiFi, enabling remote viewing and shooting from smartphones and tablets (Android and Apple). The Panasonic implementation allows video and still shooting as well as camera settings while you view what the camera sees.

This is my report of a first experience with the new ZS30, a 20X zoom compact camera that shoots 108060p AVCHD and 108030p MP4. It's like a Sony Hx9v, but with a longer zoom and better GPS (GLONASS), full manual mode (PASM) for pictures, and a real iris (so many f-stops, not just two). Fully automatic in video just like the Hx9v. However, you can really set the camera as you like it in still mode and it seems to use those settings for the video. But it is considerably slimmer and lighter, so an Hx9v not on steroids. And WiFi.

This is what the remote viewing looks like on a Samsung Galaxy Tab (this is a screen shot):

Galaxy Tab 7 Plus screenshot

I put the camera on a tripod opposite my neighbor's bird feeder hoping to catch the elusive cardinal, who always flies away when I am anywhere near. The screenshot shows what the camera is seeing, with the 560mm focal length (in video, 480mm in still). As you can see from the screenshot, you have all the info on the camera and you can take a still or a video (the red button for the latter). And you can control the zoom (you see the zoom lever in the middle) while shooting and there is a menu you can call up to change all of the camera still and video settings, including PASM.

I got a great still of the bird, remotely:

And here's the video:

http://youtu.be/9VmLrurzHMo

Select 1080p.

Now, one limitation: you cannot shoot 108060p over WiFi. So this was shot using 108030p MP4. The original looks fine.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow