LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,073Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 6, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Interestingly, both of these wider-aperture cameras, LX7 & S-100 have built-in ND filters so one can shoot wide open in daylight without severely over-exposing. Seems backwards to me. 

You obviously don't shoot many videos where an ND filter is needed to get lower shutter speeds in bright light.   People who are serious about video really love the camera for it's built-in ND filter.

Yes, "People who are serious about video!"

This category doesn't include me - I shoot video maybe once a year "whether I need to or not".

It's nice that you guys have the ND for that, but the same thing applies: aperture too large for daylight. And I hardly shoot stuff that can't take a higher ISO in "Low light', either 

And I have topaz DeNoiser for that.

SO. We're on different tracks. Cool.

-Erik

There are reasons, apart from video, to shoot wide open in bright light, :

- to play with shallower dof, when upping the shutter is not enough to achieve the correct exposure

-  to use a slow shutter (water falls) without having to close down the aperture and thereby lower the quality.

Really?

Actually, with these tiny focal length lenses (actual, not "equivalent") the DOF effects are negligible.

Don't take my word for it, Ming Thien is famous for his camera reviews and says in regard to LX7:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/03/25/leica-d-lux-6-panasonic-lx7/#more-5339

I actually advocate shooting at lears as wide as ƒ4.5 to minimize the diffraction effects that you may get in pursuing "DOF", which these small lenses have "in spades' anyway.

Please see this thread for more, and more detail on my findings:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51182438

I DID shoot a waterfall, once, with film & an ND. 

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

"Actually, with these tiny focal length lenses (actual, not "equivalent") the DOF effects are negligible."

Really?  I do not have to rely on authorities, I have the camera. And there is a lot you can do with dof.

Here are some examples (if you do not like them, that is fine, but they show playing with dof):

And, at full telephoto (such as it is) and wide open, the dof is shallower on the LX7 than on the RX100. Look it up.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow