Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,730
Like?
Focus Points for Dummies please
Apr 6, 2013

I never really get multiple focus points and despite reading tutorials etc, they don’t seem to answer my questions.

1.Is 64 better than 23 which in turn is better than one which seems to be what advertising and camera evolution is telling us?

2. If I point my camera with single point focus at the subject I want to shoot isn’t that likely to be much more successful than 23 or god forbid 64?.

3.  If I have a large number of focus points how does a camera know what my intended subject is, surely only I know that in which case surely a moveable single point would be the best solution.

4.  Birds in branches a, a bird photographer's nightmare especially as they probably don’t stay in one place for more than a second.  Forgetting, weight, price, fanboy stuff, what is the ideal setup.  Once again top end cameras boast about their 64 focus points, how does that help?

5.. Just practicing with my Oly35 macro on my G5. Distant tree through a less than clean window.  Using 23 focus pointers.  The lens hunts and finds the tree.  Do it again and the lens hunts finds a dirty spot on the window. In both cases the camera isn’t wrong because it doesn’t know whether I wanted the tree or the spot.??  In each case the final result was very accurate.

Focus Points for Dummies please

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow